Monday, September 21, 2009

You're a BIT of an idiot

So I came across an article that at first started off really nice and informative and then just went south FAST!!!! Here are some excerpts that I found to be extremely disturbing....

"However, sometime during the training process, a horse will need to be lightened up even more. Especially the older horses that are being tuned up or re-trained.So to get the job done, I’ll go to a twisted-wire snaffle. Either the regular or the thin twisted-wire.
These twisted-wire bits have some “bite” to them and will convince even an older, hard mouthed horse to respond and lighten up."
Um, NO BUDDY!!! You can get a horse light without a double twisted wire thank you!!!


He says running martingales don't work so instead "If you want to try a piece of equipment that DOES HELP a horse learn to give to your hands, supple-up and flex at the poll… use a German martingale" Again I'm going to have to say a big fat no thanks.... Um... Why is it other trainers can get their horses to flex without the use of this crap??

Oh here's a gem... "Another bit that I sometimes use to lighten a horse up is a “draw” or “gag” bit. On some horses this bit works great. The reason is because it works on different pressure points than a regular snaffle bit." I've already headdesked so many times at this point my skull is bleeding....

"Most horses, I’ll ride with the 8” shanks. The super sensitive ones, I’ll ride with the 7” shanks." OK, is this a joke now??? Is someone just screwing with me???? 8 INCHES???? That is NOT necessary!!! "The correction bit will get a horse responding well" Uhhhh, yeah have you seen them??? They have ports so high they'll tickle you're horses brain...

Oh and for the love of hell... "I’ll use a curb chain with this bit that has more bite to it than the usual one that I use. Usually, a dog-chain curb works well." Oh yes, cause that's what you need to give the bit MORE F-ing Bite.... Yes these were ALL from the same article...

With so much info on the web, it's hard to choose what is good and what isn't?? Well, to solve any dilemmas I'll put it to you this way... Trust your gut, if you don't like it, don't use it, ask a professional or several professionals, get some opinions and GIMMICKS, stronger bits, or training aids will NEVER replace good solid training in the first place.

5 comments:

ponykins said...

You wanna see long shanks? Take a look at the "win" photos from the TW Celebration show.I can only imagine what horrors are tucked away behind their stable curtains or in their tack rooms at home.

sterling said...

Why is it that I got my horse farther in a simple running martingale and a simple HS dee in less than a year than I did with a german martingale for a year ad a few months? Oh, because I actually figured out that I had to TRAIN my horse to give to the bit. He's lighter than he's ever been, and he was ridden in a frigging twisted wire bradoon plus a curb in the saddle seat ring.

I just got back from Wisconsin State 4-H Horse Expo; sheesh, every kid jerks and spurs; very few kids had a plain snaffle, very few kids did not have spurs on, and very few kids did not use draw reins or leverage bits. I'd not like to ride any of their horses.

dazey said...

My recommendation recreational riders who keep horses at home is Basic Training for a Safe Trail Horse. It is a small paperback narrative with instructions about how to teach a horse without using fear factors. No round pens, longe lines, and riding without a bit or spurs. Methods used are logical and concise and communicated to a horse in ways it can understand as it understands its own herd members. The major requirements for this kind of teaching are patience, persistence, insistence, and consistency. This inexpensive book is available on Amazon.com or autographed by the author at safetrailhorse@gmail.com

Equus said...

Nice post, and so true! What I do to teach a horse to be lighter? (Re)Teach them the basics both on the ground and under-saddle. Under-saddle they learn to be light in a plain rope hackamore before they even move into a bit. Works wonders, and no twisted wire required ;)

Sterling, what you saw at the 4H show is one of the reasons I took a break from showing. I couldn't stand seeing all the abuse anymore. Gearing up to kick butt next year though...and without the poor training.

www.theperfecthorse.blogspot.com

FlyingHorse2 said...

Why does someone need their bit to bite their horse? I say the horse needs to bite the hand that holds that bit!!

openhorseshowjudge.blogspot.com