Sunday, September 6, 2009

I Would Go To War With Him...

Had such a BLAST on this trail ride!! I got a call on Saturday from a student of mine and she asked if I wanted to go on a trail ride before it started down pouring. YEAH NO PROBLEM!!! So I grab the Avenging Uni (AU) and she tacks up her Appy and away we go!!!! So we are going through the woods and her Appy comes across a hooded sweatshirt lying on the ground and he snorts and sniffs and AU starts snorting too although he doesn't know why LOL!! So Appy man freaks and spins, AU freaks and spins and they both try to run away. They get about 4 steps and we stop them and we are dying laughing, so we get them back up to the hoodie they sniff it and start eating grass around it... So we move about 5 feet and Appy turns around and starts snorting again, this time at a mud puddle. UGH, they are acting so retarded LMAO!!! Totally feeding off eachother. Oh and they've been on this trail a hundred times!!!
So me and my friend are talking and with all the snorting and ridiculous actions our horses are giving us I say to her, "You know they used to use Arabs as War horses. I don't think I'd take AU into a damn war." I mean we all know of Marengo right?

So we continue on and all is good until Appy man starts snorting again, so I urge AU into the front and while he is a bit tense he is being pretty faithful and of course we must make fun of Appy man for the Arab being braver!! ;). We get through that part of the trail and there is an open part so we go ahead and lope for a bit and suddenly Appy man ducks into the bushes, shying away from a damn branch on the trail LOL! Oh man, I swear at this point our horses have tried to dump us no less than 7 times.... So I halt AU and again we are dying laughing again!!!

We continue some more on the trail and we get to another AWESOME field and decide to lope again. So we get going and all is well, we get to the end of the field and Appy slows down and I realize that I only have one rein. My other rein broke and we are full steam ahead.... So I sit on my ass, gently pull on my one rein, as if I had 2, and say "Whoa." And like a champ, AU stops. Like a gentleman. We are like one when we ride, him and I. Even though he can be a total goofball, I would go to war with him...

3 comments:

maiden53 said...

what a great ride!! sounds soo fun! I have Arabs and like them for the same reasons... loyal and spooky! NOTHING gets past them! Thank you for sharing your story. I am having confidence issues... I will remember this story and just so laugh the next time I start to get scared! I rode for most of my youth at my granpa's Arabian ranch then went 25 yrs not riding and I want to get my confidence back so bad...thanks for the inspiration to get past that!
BTW - I love reading your blog everyday :-)

kestrel said...

How wonderful to read your post, sometimes a horse just wants to have fun! It's not a training fail, or a problem...unless you make it one.

Tricky said...

Makes you laugh at how pampered our kids have become, when the horse-eating puddle is even out to get them.
Starts you thinking about what we demand of our horses, and so breed into them, these days in comparison with the criteria for a war horse!
Totally agree with kestrel :)