BOSS!!!! Boss? Yes Boss. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Or BOSS. This is quite the new craze apparently in coat and weight management for your horses. Boss, is simply a WILD BIRD FOOD!!! So it is Cheap Cheap!!!! A good friend of mine has started using it with amazing results, however I myself am torn. If you look it up on the web there is about 70% Pro to 30% Neg feedback on it. So, let's discuss it.
- SUPER High Fat content. Roughly 33% fat. Great for hard keepers.
- It is an "oil" seed like flaxseed is, so AMAZING for the coat and hooves.
- People say their horses LOVE it! So very palatable.
- Has Vitamins in it.
- Does NOT require a lot to get results. People say only 1 or 2 cups a day for a healthy coat.
- There has been no official testing done on the effects of it on horses.
- VERY high Omega 6 content.
- People are worried about the hulls. (I soak mine with my horses beet pulp to soften the hulls.)
To me it sounds great! I bought a small bag and only used a small handful to start. Just to test it out a little. See what my horse's manure looks like tomorrow. If it's being digested properly and so forth. Have any of you used it or heard of it? I DO have a hard keeper and would like him fatty fat fat before winter, so could this be the answer to our prayers? (For those of us with hard keepers.) I've been crazy researching it on the net and the only thing I will admit I find mildy dis concerning is that Boss hasn't been researched yet.... So will the proof be in the pudding?