Ahhh the don'ts are fun! These are things that will get you marked down in a show ring, yet I see people do it ALL the damn time! Then they wonder why they don't place!
- NO MORE Peanut rolling! The judges have started asking for an extended jog, which peanut rollers can't do because they'll kick themselves in the face.
- Shuffling, no more lazy sloppy walk, jog or lope.
- The 4 beat is OUT! Cadence and forward momentum is what the judges want to see!!!
- No more behind the vertical!
- Judges do NOT like the spur stop. Don't do it!
- Do not "check" your horse in the mouth using both reins! The judges can see it in the horse's face if it's been checked or is anticipating a check. The horse ends up behind the vertical and looks nervous or agitated!
Here are a couple dos!!!
- Lope naturally, a nice 3 beat lope.
- When training a horse to stay slow, do circles or do a one rein check, typically to the outside. If you check your horse in the mouth with one rein to the outside it will slow or stop. It can not brace on your hands and reins like it could if you were doing it with both reins. So check it to the outside and they'll learn to slow down without any nasty side effects.
- The horse carries it's head slightly in front of the vertical now and with the poll almost horizontal to the withers.
- The horse is relaxed and showing cadence.
- Keep a relaxed slack rein, but not too terribly slack or it looks sloppy.
And of course HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!! Have more tips??? You know I love 'em!!!!