- Saddle them up in a WESTERN SADDLE and their rope halter. Also you can tie the stirrups up over the saddle so your horse does not get it's hooves through them.
- Have your horse step one of their feet through the loop of the lariat, for example we'll use the left leg. Then cinch it up around the fetlock area of their leg. HENCE why you should a soft rope or lariat.
- Have your horse lift up it's left leg as if the hoof is going to touch the cinch and put the rope around the horn so it works as a pully system and you can hold their leg up. Do NOT wrap the rope or tie it to the horn, at first your horse may pull and get confused so you want to be able to quickly release the rope and let their leg down if your horse panics.
- OK, with their left leg in the air, take your lead rope around the horn from the RIGHT SIDE and again use the horn for leverage. Slowly pull your horse's head to the right and they will slowly go down. They may sniff the ground or "BOW" first. Every time your horse does, STOP, RELEASE and PRAISE them.
- Add a little bit more pull onto the halter after they figure out the "BOW" part and they will slowly lay down. Release the pressure on the leg rope and while still holding their head, get down by them and LOVE them ALL OVER!!!!!!! Let them know how awesome they are. Then let them get up and love them some more!!!!!
That's it... it should be smooth and relaxed. My horse at first tried to fight it a bit, but I kept at it and after about 15 minutes she was down flat. This is something that even though it's NEAT it should never be down more than a couple times a week at the very MOST!!!! Have fun and send me PICS!!!!!!!