Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Scram with your Scams

So a poster (Barb) pointed out I should do a little piece on scammers and boarding. Phew there is a LAUNDRY list of scams out there people try to pull. OK, let's start here...

Boarding. Craigslist is FULL of scammers, be wary of ANYONE who sends you a request to board from out of state and weird things, like, "I'll put the money in your account and if you could transfer it to so and so's account to pay for shipping, bla bla bla...so on so forth." NO Do not do this EVER!!! Meet the people or have them send a responsible Representative! Also if possible get cash only. Make boarders sign CONTRACTS that state that you as the barn owner/manager have the right to sell the animal if the owner defaults on board for X amount of time. With the economy the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised if people would pay a months board and then never come back for their horse. Get reference too and call THEM, so if the owner does ditch out you have someone to call. If the horse is registered, get a copy of the papers, that way again if the owner bails you can contact prev. owners/breeder and see if they want the horse back...

Now as far as you looking for a boarding facility, ALWAYS check it out in person at least a couple times! Make an appt the first time you come, but the second time you visit, just show up, that way you can really see the facility for what it is. Never compromise your horses safety and health for cheap board... Never except excuses on why there is no hay on the property or why water buckets are empty, or FILTHY!!!! You can even ask to speak with current boarders and maybe previous boarders about the place to see what they think. Local feed stores and tack shops may also have insight on specific barns and their reputations. Also if you contact a boarding facility and they want you to send money via the Internet, do not do it. Go to the farm and put the deposit down and what not.

Just remember, if it seems to good to be true, or you just get an ill feeling, GO WITH IT!!!!! CL is CRAWLING with people who think their oh so uber smart and will try to scam the pants off of you. There are plenty of people who own horses, LOCALLY, that need boarding that the last thing you need to do is deal with a scammer who is out of state or even worse out of the country.

3 comments:

kestrel said...

As a barn owner, I learned the hard way...especially have friends sign contracts. That way you don't get stuck paying for former friend's hay and vet bills! Check out the horse's reputation. Gentle ole' Joe just might have been kicked out of other barns for devouring fences and attacking other horses and people...

T said...

I believe I was recently taken in by another kind of scam. I took my horse to a 'reputable' trainer (stellar moon equestrians - Jen Coval in Gilroy, CA) that did consignment. She asked just enough questions that it made me think she was legitimate, and has us bring the horse to her. The first thing she said was "she's a lot smaller than you said, and she's just skin and bones" Mind you, I know this horse needed muscle, but had plenty of weight on her. Anyway, 1.5 mo later we've had no offers, no advertising/marketing done AT ALL, and she came back looking essentially the same. Don't do consignment unless it's someone you know and trust

OneDandyHorse said...

When I was looking for a horse, I saw an add about someone wanting to give away 2 horses. I thought it was a bit fishy, but I contacted the guy anyways. The first red flag, was that he had moved to Africa and that the horses were there. Second, they were two Friesans. Third, the guy said he didn't have pictures, then I asked so often that he sent me two pictures of each horses. The horses on the pictures were show quality (not Friesans if you have ever seen one) and weren't exactly alike in both pictures (Sock on opposite foot, blaze not quite the same, mare and gelding). I mean how dumb do you think I am!?!??!

Secondly, he said to just send him the money and that he would take care of the flight and shipping, ect. Way before that point, I knew it was a scam but I played the game anyway... he wasn't getting a dime from me! I did my research and found out that a horse or horses that are flying must be accompanied by a handler or chaperonne. That wasn't discussed with mister scammer. I also found out that any horses coming from Africa would have to be quarantined, which costs like $5 000. And the icing on the cake, was... how could he arrange transportation from Africa, when I had trouble finding someone to trailer horses at any cost!??!

Anyways, the deal breaker for me was when I learned that he was from Africa... then the pictures... then the fees and regulations on flying horses to another country.

I can't believe people would actually fall for that... I know that a poor grandma that has grandkids and wants to buy them horses would probably fall victim to that scum. Unfortunately, I didn't report him, but his game was so fishy that I don't think anyone fell for it. I also think that ad sites have better control over these thiefs nowadays.

Besides, I found the perfect horse 30 minutes from my house and she was at reasonnable price and I trained her the way I like.

DOn't get scammed, do your research and don't take the easy path, nothing is free, never send money to anyone, without having met them in person.